Start hiring YOUR REMOTE TEAM, Today!
Enter your information below to start a discussion with one of our team members!
With the advent of the internet, the traditional 9-to-5 job has been replaced by more flexible and remote work opportunities, giving rise to the gig economy.
This shift has led to the emergence of online platforms that connect freelancers with potential employers, enabling them to work from anywhere, anytime.
One such platform that has gained significant attention and popularity is Freelancer.com.
However, as with any online platform, questions about its legitimacy and reliability are bound to arise. “Is Freelancer.com legit?” is a question that lingers in the minds of many potential users.
There is no doubt that Freelancer.com is a legitimate platform, with its millions of users and numerous projects. It has been helping freelancers and businesses connect for over a decade, and it has helped facilitate millions of projects.
In this article, we aim to unravel the truth behind Freelancer.com. We will delve into the workings of the platform, explore user experiences, and discuss the safety measures it has in place.
Our goal is to provide you with a comprehensive understanding of Freelancer.com, enabling you to decide whether it’s the right platform.
What is Freelancer.com?
Freelancer.com is a global online platform that connects freelancers and employers. It was launched in 2009 and has since grown to become one of the largest freelancing marketplaces in the world.
|Registered users||50 million|
|Monthly visits||6.7 million|
|Average project size||$178|
|Most popular country||India (16.32% of traffic)|
|Jobs posted||2.1 million|
|Average bids per project||26|
|Average annual income||$42,898|
The platform boasts a user base of over 50 million freelancers and employers from over 247 countries, regions, and territories globally.
Freelancer.com allows skilled professionals from various fields to showcase their talents and find projects that match their expertise.
Whether you’re a writer, designer, programmer, marketer, or engineer, Freelancer.com has many projects you can bid on and work on.
On the other hand, Freelancer.com provides employers with a platform to find and hire freelancers for their project needs.
Whether you need a logo designed, a website developed, an article written, or a mobile app created, you can post your project on Freelancer.com and receive bids from freelancers who are capable and ready to work on your project.
Is Freelancer.com Legit?
Freelancer.com is a legitimate platform with millions of users and many projects. It has operated for over a decade and has facilitated millions of projects, making it a reliable platform for freelancers and employers.
However, like any other online platform, Freelancer.com is not immune to the occasional scam or fraudulent activity.
It’s important to note that while the platform itself is legitimate, not all users have good intentions.
There have been instances where unscrupulous employers and vice versa have scammed freelancers.
Security Measures Taken by Freelancer.com
To protect its users, Freelancer.com employs several security measures. These include secure payment methods, a dispute resolution system, and a verification system for freelancers and employers.
Freelancer.com uses a milestone payment system to ensure that payments are secure. When an employer awards a project to a freelancer, they deposit the funds for the project into an escrow account.
These funds are only released to the freelancer once the project is completed to the employer’s satisfaction.
Freelancer.com has a dispute resolution system in place in case of a dispute.
Suppose a freelancer and employer cannot resolve a dispute among themselves. In that case, they can escalate the dispute to Freelancer.com’s dispute resolution team, who will then intervene and decide based on the evidence provided.
Freelancer.com also has a verification system for freelancers and employers.
Users can verify their identity, payment method, phone number, and email address. This helps increase trust among users and makes the platform safer to use.
Positive Aspects of Freelancer.com
Positive user experiences:
- Users appreciate the vast number of opportunities available on Freelancer.com.
- The platform’s user-friendly interface is highly praised by its users.
- Efforts to secure transactions and resolve disputes are recognized and valued.
- Flexibility in work arrangements is a significant benefit for freelancers.
- Freelancers can choose projects that align with their skills and interests.
- Freelancers appreciate the ability to set their rates.
- Freelancer.com offers a platform to build portfolios and gain global exposure.
- Employers have access to a diverse pool of talented freelancers.
- The platform enables employers to find freelancers tailored to their project needs.
- Comparing bids allows employers to make informed decisions.
- Freelancer.com saves time and effort in the hiring and management process for employers.
Negative Aspects of Freelancer.com
Criticisms of Freelancer.com:
- Some users have reported payment issues, including delays and problems with the milestone payment system.
- High competition on the platform is a common concern, leading some freelancers to lower their rates to win bids.
- Instances of encountering unscrupulous clients or freelancers have been reported, leading to issues like non-payment or incomplete work.
Payment problems faced by freelancers:
- Some freelancers have experienced delays in receiving their payments.
- Certain users have reported issues with the milestone payment system.
- There have been instances where freelancers were not paid for the work they completed.
- Freelancer.com’s dispute resolution system is available to address payment-related concerns.
Challenges of high competition:
- The platform’s large user base results in intense competition for projects.
- To secure projects, some freelancers feel compelled to lower their rates.
Encountering unscrupulous users:
- Certain freelancers have fallen victim to scams where employers did not pay for the completed work.
- Similarly, some employers have experienced scams where freelancers still need to deliver the promised work.
|Positive Aspects||Negative Aspects|
|Payment issues were reported, including delays and disputes.||Scams were reported where freelancers weren’t paid or delivered.|
|User-friendly interface for ease of use.||High competition among freelancers for projects.|
|Secure transactions and dispute resolution system.||Some freelancers experience difficulty getting paid.|
|Flexibility for freelancers to work from anywhere.||Instances of encountering unscrupulous users.|
|Ability to choose projects matching skills/interests.||Scams reported where freelancers weren’t paid or delivered.|
|Opportunity to build portfolios and gain exposure.|
It’s important to note that while these issues are concerning, they are not exclusive to Freelancer.com and can occur on any online platform.
How Does it Work for Freelancers and Employers?
- Create a profile and list their skills.
- Browse through projects on the platform.
- Place bids on projects matching their skills and interests.
- Provide proposed rates, project approach, and estimated completion timeline in their bids.
- Post their projects on Freelancer.com.
- Receive bids from freelancers.
- Review freelancer profiles, portfolios, ratings, and reviews.
- Select the freelancer that best suits their project needs.
Milestone Payment System:-
- Employers deposit project funds into the system.
- Funds are held in escrow until project completion.
- Payment is released to the freelancer upon employer satisfaction.
Variety of Projects and Opportunities:-
- Freelancer.com offers projects in various fields, from writing to programming.
- Freelancers can choose projects that align with their skills and interests.
- Employers have access to a diverse pool of talented freelancers worldwide.
How to Identifying and Avoiding Potential Scams
While Freelancer.com takes measures to prevent scams, users should also be vigilant. Here are some tips to help you identify and avoid potential scams:
- Avoid sharing sensitive information:- Never share sensitive information such as your bank account details, credit card information, or personal identification numbers with anyone on the platform.
- Be wary of offers that seem too good to be true:- If a project offer or a bid seems too good, it probably is. Be wary of employers who offer high payment for simple tasks or freelancers who bid extremely low for complex projects.
- Always conduct transactions within the platform:- To ensure your transactions are secure, always conduct transactions within the platform. Avoid employers or freelancers who insist on making transactions outside the platform.
Importance of Clear Communication and What to Expect
Clear communication is key to a successful freelancing experience. Here are some tips to ensure clear communication and set expectations:
- Discuss project details:- Before starting a project, ensure that you and your employer or freelancer understand the details. Discuss the project requirements, deliverables, and timeline.
- Set clear payment terms:- Before starting a project, agree on the payment terms. Discuss the project fee, payment schedule, and method of payment.
- Keep communication lines open:- During the project, keep communication lines open. Regularly update your employer or freelancer on the project’s progress and immediately address any issues.
Tips for Successful Bidding and Securing Projects
To increase your chances of winning bids and securing projects, here are some tips:
- Ensure your profile is complete:- A complete and professional profile can increase your chances of winning bids. Ensure your profile is complete, includes a professional photo, and showcases your skills, experience, and portfolio.
- Tailor your bid to the project:- When bidding for a project, tailor your bid to the project. Highlight how your skills and experience make you the best fit for the job. Provide a brief description of how you plan to execute the project and give an estimated timeline for completion.
- Provide a competitive rate:- While it’s important to set a rate that reflects your skills and experience, ensure your rate is competitive. Research the average rate for similar projects on the platform and set your rate accordingly.
Freelancer Fees and Charges
Freelancer.com charges a fee for its services to both freelancers and employers. For freelancers, a 10% fee or $5 is charged on each fixed-price job unless you are a Preferred Freelancer, in which case the fees are higher.
On hourly projects, freelancers are charged 10% for each payment.
Employers can post projects for free, but they must pay a fee of either 3% or $3 on fixed-price jobs or 3% on every payment for hourly jobs once they accept a bid.
Some exams freelancers can take and display on their profiles cost $5, $10, or $15.
Comparison with Other Platforms
|Freelancer||21M||Free, bid-based||10% or $5 (FL), 3% or $3 (CL)|
|Upwork||12M FL, 5M CL||Match-based||10% (FL), varies (CL)|
|Fiverr||3M services||List-based||20% (FL), varies (CL)|
FL = Freelancer
CL = Client
Frequently Asked Questions
1- Is Freelancer.com safe to use?
Freelancer.com is safe to use. It has several security measures in place to protect its users.
These include secure payment methods, a dispute resolution system, and a verification system for freelancers and employers.
However, users should also exercise caution and discretion while using the platform.
2- How does Freelancer.com protect its users?
Freelancer.com protects its users through secure payment methods, a dispute resolution system, and a verification system for freelancers and employers.
The platform uses a milestone payment system to ensure that payments are secure.
In case of a dispute, users can escalate the dispute to Freelancer.com’s dispute resolution team.
Users can also verify their identity, payment method, phone number, and email address to increase trust among users.
3- Are there scams on Freelancer.com?
Like any online platform, Freelancer.com is not immune to scams. However, the platform takes measures to prevent such activities and encourages users to report any suspicious behavior.
Users should also be vigilant and follow the tips provided in this article to identify and avoid potential scams.
4- How can I succeed on Freelancer.com?
Success on Freelancer.com depends on showcasing your skills effectively, bidding wisely, communicating clearly, and delivering quality work.
Ensure your profile is complete and professional, tailor your bids to the project, keep communication lines open, and always strive to deliver quality work.
5- What are some alternatives to Freelancer.com?
Several other platforms also connect freelancers with potential employers. These include Upwork, Fiverr, and Toptal.
Each of these platforms has its features, advantages, and disadvantages. Researching and choosing the platform that best suits your needs is important.
This article aims to provide a comprehensive view of Freelancer.com, helping potential users make informed decisions.
Remember, the key to a successful freelancing experience is choosing the right platform and using it wisely and responsibly.
Conclusion: Is Freelancer Legit?
Weighing the pros and cons, Freelancer.com can be a valuable platform for freelancers and employers.
While it has its share of challenges, with the right approach and precautions, users can benefit from the opportunities it offers.
Freelancer.com is a legitimate platform that provides many opportunities for freelancers and a vast pool of talented freelancers for employers.
However, like any online platform, users must exercise caution and discretion to avoid scams and have a safe and successful freelancing experience.